Monday, June 19, 2006

A New start after Father's Day.

Changed Through Problems

Well here we go again, a new day, a new week, a new chance to learn and grow.

How was your Father’s day? I hope it was as good as mine!

My day started early on Sunday Morning. The clock went off about 5:30 and my flesh wanted to stay in the sack.

I preach at Parris Island Military Recruit Depot and I am supposed to be there and ready by 7:15. My body was tired and it was hard to get up and go but from past experience I knew it was Satan trying to keep me at home. When ever I feel this way I “Get a Grip” and push into what my flesh does not want to do.

So after getting baptized by the water coming out of the shower I knew what I had to do. I got dressed and went forward even though I had a problem getting started.

I always have to stop at the gate and get a temporary pass. This pass allows me to go to my specific destination. It is a pain to have to stop each time I go over there to get this pass. It is a so called, “problem.”

(We only have a temporary pass here on earth. Jesus offers us one and all a permanent eternal pass to a specific everlasting destination!! Do you have your pass?? )

Point one:
2nd Corinthians 4:17 says this, “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.”
Read it again and let it sink in. The troubles we go through in life are part of an eternal glory. Not only do troubles or problems help us to grow but, they also help others to grow. Sometimes it is hard to see or even understand, but when we are encompassed by troubles God has a purpose behind every one. He uses circumstances to develop our character. So here it is, our problems or troubles are helping us to grow to be more like Christ and, others will witness our growth and some will grow forward into maturity with us.

I said earlier that my flesh did not want to get up and go to P.I. on Sunday but because I pushed forward toward the goal in Christ Jesus, or I went on to do what Christ has called me to do, at alter call, fifty men came forward and accepted and received Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Now what caused these men to come forward to meet Jesus? Answer: (Problems laced with God’s grace.) It was not because I had all the right words to say, it was because of the Grace of God.

Point two: In John 6:44 the words of Jesus echo the truth of God’s grace, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.”
The reason I got up and went to Parris Island and the reason all those young recruits showed up is because God’s love and grace had drawn us together for that specific purpose. God has called me to preach and even though I have problems in my life I went regardless of the troubles.

Now these recruits, do you think they are having problems? You better believe it! They have more troubles that you can even comprehend. Some are missing home, parents, wife's, girlfriends, sons, and daughters. Some don’t want to be there but there they are anyway. Some have just gotten of drugs, booze etc. The list is unlimited. One young man came forward crying his eyes out because his father and this was Father’s Day, was at home dying from a lung disease. This recruit wanted me to pray for his daddy because he is afraid his father will die before he gets through with training.

Jesus warned us that we would have problems in the world. How true is that statement? No one is immune to pain or protected from suffering, and no one gets through life problem free. So I think it's important to see and understand as much as we can, that, God’s grace mixed together with our problems prompt us to hear and realize the call of God in our lives.

Point three: (Something we need to KNOW!!) God uses problems to draw us closer to Himself. Scripture says this, “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18.

Our most insightful and treasured experiences of devotion will likely be in our darkest days—when our heart is broken because of trouble or problems. Often when we feel like our heart is broken or when we feel abandoned, when we think we are out of options, when the pain is great, it’s then when we hear the call from that still small voice, and we turn to God alone. (This is the voice these young recruits hear and turn to for help).

Here’s the point—When life is all glowing and things seem to be going well, we may slide by with knowing about Jesus. We may quote scripture and speak about Him, but only in true distress will we truly KNOW Jesus.

We learn things about God and ourselves during these times of distress that we can’t learn at any other time. (You may disagree with this but I bet if you think it through you will change your mind).

Problems force us to look to God and depend on Him instead of ourselves. The Apostle Paul testified to this advantage: “We felt we were doomed to die an saw how powerless we were to help ourselves; but that was good, for then we put everything into the hands of God, who alone could save us” (2nd Corinthians 1: 9, Living Bible).

Rejoice and give Thanks:

The Word of God tells us to, “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
Notice that God tells us to give thanks “in all circumstances” not “for all circumstances.” The LORD doesn’t expect us to be thankful for evil, for sin, for suffering, or for their excruciating consequences in the world. But God wants us to thank Him that He will use our problems to fulfill His purposes in our lives.

Conclusion: I could go on forever but I have got to get up and “Get a grip,” on this days work. I hope and pray that you, who ever you are, will get something out of today message.
“For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far out weight them all.”
Changed Through Problems.
Thanks and have a blessed day.
May God’s Grace and peace comfort you in Jesus name.

Robert N. Graves, Sr.
Fisherman for Christ.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane Viere said...

Each day I visit your blog--I leave blessed!

Diane

7:27 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

You have music! I love it! I used to love it when Bernie would sing this song while we were just driving around. Long Black Train... I think Bernie bought a one way ticket. I say we derail the train and rescue him, whatcha think? :)

I won't be back in town til Saturday so I will miss you at Meadowbrook. UGH! I forgot that I was leaving for Boston today. I was looking forward to hearing you preach Friday. Darn it! See ya when I get back! Luv ya Pops!

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home