Thursday, June 15, 2006

What can storms teach us?

What can storms teach us?
When I say storms I am talking about things that can come into our lives and shake us up. It could be financial storms, emotional storms, physcial storms or even real storms like Katrina and Andrew or whatever. Storms come in all shapes and sizes.

I have some very close friends who have been going through some physcial storms for several months. As I have watched and prayed for them, I have witnessed and surrveyed several things that I believe are important in the lives of each of us.

The Apostle Paul told us in much of his writings, about love. "When all the other gifts are gone, love will still remain." Storms or difficuties bring out real love.

I don't mean to be one of those people, and I wouldn't want to say anything that could make light of or downplay the tremendous loss that we and our friends experience in difficult times. But there may be something we can learn from storms and heartache, from loss and fear. I would say that even in the aftermath of tragedy, we can experience reassurance and hope.
First, life's difficulties cause us to review our priorities.
What really matters? Sometimes difficult situations give us pause from the daily bout of “normal” life and give us a chance to think about what we're living for. Is there more to life than what I'm living? Is there a higher calling that I should pursue? Am I spending enough time with those I love? (I want to spend more time with my wife). When faced with loss, do my priorities make sense?
Second, storms and trials help us maintain an “eternal” perspective.
In the Bible, Paul went through many hard times, including the equivalent of a hurricane (and resulting shipwreck) in the Mediterranean Sea . His perspective? “For our present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever! So we don't look at the troubles we can see right now; rather, we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.” (2 Cor. 4:17-18)
When difficult times come into our lives, whether as a ordinary disaster or even the result of bad personal choices, we can fix our eyes on eternity. We can realize that any struggle we face on earth is small in comparison to the wonderful future God has promised to those who follow him.
Third, storms of difficulty deepen our relationship to God and each other.
I don't know about you, but when I'm faced with misfortune or an anxious situation, it drives me closer to my family, my friends, and to God. In these times I learn what it means to love, to care, to show compassion, to pray, and to encourage. Not that I look forward to difficulties, but when they come, I know that even in great “evil” good can result.
“We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. And this expectation will not disappoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us…” ( Rom. 5:3-5).
Finally, bad things that happen remind us of God's ultimate plan.
We can find joy and peace in knowing that we aren't alone, and that we can still turn to God, our “ever-present help in times of trouble” and the true shelter from any storm. His plan is to create a new world in the future that will be free from the tears and death we experience here on earth.
Here's a final word of hope from Revelation 21, "Look, the home of God is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. He will remove all of their sorrows, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. For the old world and its evils are gone forever."

PS. Be ready, there is a strom coming right now. We can't see it yet, the radar is not picking it up but it is on the way. It could come at any time, a phone call, a letter, a Doctors visit, a fall in the dark.

Be prepared! Life here is short but eternity is forever!!


4 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Ok Daddy, I am ready!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Fisherman For Christ said...

Hi baby goat, what are you doing still up, you know you should be getting your beauty sleep.

I love you! Dad.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I have had many storms in my life lately, as you know. And I know that in the very near future I have two more big ones coming right at me. The death of my Grandfather and the death of my Nanny. But I also know that I can weather any storm and eventually "dry off" so to speak.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

Just wanted to let you know--you've been linked! And if you keep writing such powerful stuff--it may be a daily occurence for me!

Diane

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home