Thursday, June 15, 2006

Get a Grip

Get a Grip,

Today I have been busy cutting down some bushes for my wife. It is hot outside so I came in to get something cool to drink, and relax for a few minutes before I go back out into the heat.

Some times it is hard for me to concentrate on doing other thing besides working on my trawler and fishing. I fish for a living (Shrimp). Any way this yard work is hardwork. I know someone out there will agree with me!

Often when I am trying to do something that I don't really want to be doing, I have to reach inside and "Get a Grip" on my thoughts and actions and push into whatever it is that I don't want to be doing. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doen't.

I am always trying to get a grip on what the Lord wants me to be doing. I know He wants me to do yard work as well as anything else. God wants us to live a balanced life and it is not easy to do.

I don't know about you but I want my life to count for something. I have made so many mistakes, (Which I learned from,) so now I do my best to let God be my leader. He often just tells me to, "Get a Grip." So I look to His Word for guidance.

Here are some helps for today!

1st Timothy 1:9,"Keep a firm grip on your faith and on your self. After all, this is a fight we're in. There are some, you know, who by relaxing their grip and thinking, 'anything goes' have made a thorough mess of their faith." (Life)

By reading this scripture I realize that I must not give up or relax my grip on my faith. This means that I must not relax in my commitment to my Lord. By keeping my commitment to God I will be keeping it with my family also.

Here are four most important questions. Answer them for yourself!

1) What will be the Center of my life?”

“If your wealth increases, don’t make it the center of your life.” Psalm 62:10.

“So do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.” Eph. 5:7.

“Christ Love has the first and last word in everything we do. Our firm decision is to work from this focused center.” 2nd Cor. 5:14

Will I be SELF-CENTERED or GOD-CENTERED?

2) What will be the Character of my life?

“For from the beginning God decided that those who came to Him should become like His Son.” Romans 8:29 (LB)

“In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus.” Phil. 2:5 (NVC)

“Don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love.” 2nd Peter 1:5 (Message)

Will I chose COMFORT or CHARACTER?

3) What will be the CONTRIBUTION of my life?

“God has given each of you some special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing on to others God’s many kinds of blessings.” 1st Peter 4:10 (LB)

“It is God Himself who has made us what we are and given us new lives from Christ Jesus; and long ago He planned that we should spend these lives in helping others.” Eph. 2:10 (LB)

“Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps His word.” Hebrews 10:23, (Message)

Will I focus on GETTING or GIVING?

4) What will be the COMMUNICATION of my life?

Your lives are echoing the Master’s Word…The news of your faith in God is out. We don’t have to say anything anymore…You’re the message.” 1st Thess. 1:8 (Message)

“Live in such a way that you are a credit to the message of Christ.” Phil. 1:27 (Message)

“Life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus…the work of telling others the Good News about God’s mighty kindness and love.” Acts 20: 24 (Living Bible)

“And I pray that, as you share your faith with others, it will grip their lives too, as they see the wealth of good things in you that come from Christ Jesus.” (Philemon 1:6)

Will my life message be ME or HIM?

Can you read between these lines and “Get a Grip” on what you need to do?

Oh by the way, somewhere in between cutting down the bushes, the heat, red bugs and ticks, I got a grip on finishing the yard work and writing this little message to YOU!!

God bless!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Good job on the yard work! Ha Ha! Get a grip.... I think sometimes my grip is too tight but then at other times I think my hands are just too slippery and I can't seem to "hold on." But.... I don't think my hands are too slippery to get a grip on Bernie's neck and choke some cotton-pickn' sense into him. :) Just kiddin'!

I love reading your blog. You give me even more hope! Each and everyday, the light at the end of that really dark tunnel seems to get brighter and brighter. Thank God for that!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Fisherman For Christ said...

Good morning Sandy, I sometimes feel the same way, I want to choke Bern but I love him to much and besides that he might beat me up. I only know that God did not and will not give up on me. Once He has started a good work in our lives He will not stop until we are right where He wants us to be!

Keep the faith and pray.
Love Bobby Sr.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home