Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Appointment

Good morning world.

This morning my wife had to get up and get ready for a Drs. Appointment. She broke her foot weeks ago. She tripped over the dog and broke several bones in her foot. She is a tough lady. Even though she has had to wear this big ole black boot for eight or ten weeks, she still has not stopped giving out orders and doing all she could do at home and at work. The whole family is blessed to have her.

She got up this morning, fixed the coffee pot and asked me if I would take our grandson to school so she could get ready for her appointment and of course being the good husband that I am, I said sure. I took Ryan to school and came back home to read some from God’s Word. This reading was my breakfast. I was feeding on the Word of God!

An Inevitable Appointment:

I got to thinking as I read the Bible this morning, that we all have an Appointment. It is an appointment with death. What is your destiny?

In Hebrews 9: 27, it says, “It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment.”

This is an appointment that we won’t have to get up and get ready for the morning that it will happen. The date, time of day, where, when, how and by what has already been set in stone. Your name is written in God’s appointment book. God knows all. He knows when you get up. He knows when you go to bed. He knows what we are doing and thinking even right now.

We all have an appointment with God and there is no way around it. One day we will stand before Him and have to give an account for our lives. Are you ready or are you getting ready?

We spend so much time getting ready for so many things. Most of these things do not really matter. What really matters: are you ready or are you getting your family ready for the day of Divine appointment? It is on the way!

The Party:

I recently went to a birthday party. It was for my two grandsons. Mason and Will. They are both such special little men. They each have many questions. Each one is the same but yet they are different. Mason is special in that he has many real questions going through his little mind. He wants answers and he wants them now. Will is different but just as special. He takes after his daddy. He wants what he wants when he wants it but he doesn’t ask many questions. He has questions, but he is preoccupied with other things right now. But none the less, he is just as special in his own way. These little boys are just two of many millions who have questions and wants but also they all have that same appointment with destiny.

The party was great. The parents had spent much time and effort getting things prepared. They had a big water slide that even grown ups took a ride down several times. They had sent out special invitations to many people to come and celebrate at the party. They had refreshments. In short, in was a well planned party.

As I looked around that day I saw many children and grown ups as well. I wondered if the parents were ready or getting ready to see Jesus in person, because one day no matter what we think, we have our name in the appointment book.

I wondered how many of the parents at he party had even considered getting themselves prepared for that moment in time. I pray that they are not only getting themselves ready but also working with God to get their children prepared. That day will also be a new birthday. A birthday to start spending forever with Jesus! Or Satan!

When I say Jesus or Satan, I only speak the truth. The invitation has already been sent out to us all. No matter where you are or who you are, the invitation to the party has been sent. God sent His Son Jesus, not only a gift but also the One who receives us into the banquet hall. Jesus paid the total price for the party. He paid for the party with His life’s blood. He paid the price that we could not pay and He still invites us, one and all, to come to the grand party. He has been preparing the place for the party for over two thousand years. He said, “If I go to prepare a place for you, I will return again and receive you unto Myself that where I am there ye may be also.” If you want to go to this party, you must receive Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Jesus also said, “If you acknowledge Me before men, I will acknowledge you before My Father in Heaven. But if you reject Me, I will reject you before My Father in Heaven.”
To reject Jesus is getting prepared to go to Satan’s party. It will be a grand ole cook out and the one’s who reject Christ are what’s cooking.

At Satan’s party there will be no happy people sliding down water slides and having refreshments. Also, if we end up going to the devils party, the ice cream will melt. I do not want to go to this party. You better take this serious because it is of most importance!

A Mess:
The world is in such a mess! Just turn on you TV or read the news paper for a second. We are moving faster and faster each day toward the final appointment day.

As I watched the news last night I saw thousands of people signing their names down on a list to be suicide bombers. They hate Jews & Christians so much until they are willing to give up their lives and the lives of their own children to kill and destroy. They are willing to strap on a body bomb and walk into a crowd of people, pull the plug or pull the switch, and make a big boom and kill who ever may be in the general area!

These people have been brain washed. I guess that is what it is. Somewhere they were taught to think like they do about the things they think about! They have very little if any compassion for Jew’s, Christians or Americans. All American are not Christians!

I want you to stop and think about this for a moment. What would it take for you to strap on a body bomb and walk into a crowd of people and blow yourself up?

What can we do about it? Has society ever had the answer to any of these problems that go on in the world? NO! Never have and never will.

The problem started with disobedience in the Garden. And where was the Garden of Eden? It was in the same area that all the conflict is going on in today. Iraq is where the Garden of Eden was. In modern day Iraq is where Jonah was sent to preach judgment on Nineveh. This is the area that has always been in conflict and it always will until Jesus sets His feet on the soil outside of Israel. This day is also in God’s appointment book.

The Fool’s Game:
We spend so much of our time enjoying the pleasures of this life here on earth. I am not saying that is wrong. What I am saying is this: Only foolish people avoid, deny, ignore and delay decisions that are inevitable. One such decision involves eternity and your own appointment. You will die.
You may not believe there is judgment after death, but you certainly must believe that you will face death. You only need to look around to realize that you have never met a two hundred year old person.

The fool’s game believes that, “I can live my life my way and win.” Such a life is marked by rebellion, disobedience, and pride. Pride will send more people to hell than anything I know.

God simply will not bless or reward such a life. You can tell me about your degrees, credentials, accomplishments, notoriety, fame, fortune an award, but if you are rejecting God in your life, you are still playing the fools game. The most important thing we can do in our life is to accept Jesus Christ as our personal Savior.

I have people tell me all the time about how good they are doing. They say, “Look at my nice new home, it cost me half a million dollars. Look at my new boat, truck or whatever”. All these things are ok, but I want to ask you, how about you final appointment with God. Are you ready for that? How about your children? Can they take that nice boat or home with them on their appointment day? All these things will pass away but the Word of God will remain forever. The nature of possession are Temporary !

Having things does not necessarily mean you are blessed. Let me ask you this, “Where are your treasures?” Are they laid up in Heaven or are they laid up in saving and Loan. Jesus said, “where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.”

Matt. 6:19-21, Jesus also said, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in an steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

It does not matter what you have or what you look like. You must be ready for your own special appointment day. Someone can tell you about it just like I am doing here, but ultimately, you must prepare for it with your own choices. “Choose this day whom you will serve!”

You can get your hair all fixed up, buy and wear new cloths, wear find jewelry, look real good but unless and until you get yourself right with Christ, you are just wasting your time! It does no good just to look good, but it is real good to know Christ and the power of His resurrection.

My point:
You and I may not ever have to face a suicide bomber, but we will all have someone to face. His name is Jesus, because the Bible says, that “one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.”

My point in all of this is that we cannot stop the flow of what is going on in the world. The world’s destiny is set in place by God. But one thing we can do is to get ready for the appointment day that is coming and it is coming fast.

As we get ourselves ready we can get our children and grandchildren ready. We can get our husbands and wives ready.

I realize that there are some that will not listen. There is just no way to pull that man from watching the game on Saturday or Sunday. There is no way to pull that woman from watching a soap opera.
But listen, something is coming that will pull all of us away from whatever it is that we are doing. It is that divine Appointment with the last breath we will ever breathe here on the earth.

Are you ready?

We can make a difference in someone’s life. If we start doing the things we are supposed to be doing, someone will see us and then maybe, just maybe it will cause that person to follow you as you follow Jesus to that special Appointment.

It is appointed unto men once to die, then judgment.

Are you getting ready for your appointment?

Thanks.
Robert N. Graves, Sr.
Fisherman for Christ.




2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I read it! Now I'm about to go read Proverbs to live by! Good night!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

You know, I know that I have been forgiven for my sins, the things I have done wrong to others and whatnot. But I get hung up on the fact that I still feel guilty sometimes for some of the things I have done. Getting to know about God and Jesus hopefully will help me let go, ya know?... And now that I am "older" and I am a little smarter and have more common sense about me, I look at some of the things I have done and ask myslef, "What were you thinking?" or "Why?" I even tend to wonder what my life would be like today if I hadn't done some of those things. I get so caught up in the past... Okay, so now to my point - Did this speak to me? Sure it did! I have to say that each and every day I am becoming closer to God/Jesus. Reading the Bible, praying, going to church and last but not least reading your blog posts and listening to your words. I only hope that I will be "running" with my Nanny in Heaven and not having a BBQ in Hell. (I'm almost certain that I will see those "pearly gates!") What am I doing to get ready? I have started by trying to live my life the way I should. I am not selfish and I'm not as materialistic as I used to be, etc. I often ask myself before I do something if would be pleasing to the Lord. Makes sense. I am also "training up my child" by the standards that would be pleasing to the Lord. At least I think so!

This all makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing! Keep coming back! Got to go do some work now. Luv ya!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home